US

Brooklyn judge dismisses 857 prostitution cases at DA’s request

[ad_1]

A Brooklyn judge Wednesday dismissed 857 cases against defendants charged with prostitution and related raps — at the request of the borough’s district attorney, whose office no longer prosecutes the offenses.

The cases for prostitution and loitering for purposes of prostitution — a since-repealed law known as “Walking While Trans” — dated from 1970 to 2011, officials said.

In January, Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez filed a similar motion to vacate 262 prostitution-related warrants and to dismiss the underlying cases dating from 2012 to the present.

“My office no longer prosecutes these offenses because we believe that those who engage in these activities should be offered assistance, not criminally prosecuted,” Gonzalez said in a statement.

Earlier this year, the state legislature struck down the law against loitering for purposes of prostitution — although most of the city’s DAs had independently stopped prosecuting the controversial statute.

For decades, activists had argued that the “Walking While Trans” law had unfairly targeted women, minorities and transgender people, allowing police to arrest anyone who appeared to beckon or stop passersby.

Queens DA Melinda Katz also recently asked a judge in her borough to dismiss and seal more than 670 prostitution and prostitution loitering cases.

A few weeks earlier, a judge dismissed 8,000 loitering for purposes of prostitution cases dating back as far as the 1970s at the request of Bronx DA Darcel Clark.

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. plans to file a motion to dismiss approximately 5,000 open loitering for prostitution cases in the coming weeks, spokesperson Emily Tuttle previously told The Post.

Ryan Lavis, a spokesman for Richmond County DA Michael McMahon, said the office would also move to dismiss open loitering for purposes of prostitution cases.

Source link

[ad_2]
Source link

Follow us on Google News