Metro

Bronx DA knew cop attack suspect struck before but didn’t ask for bail

A Bronx prosecutor failed to seek bail for cop-attack suspect Isus Thompson at his arraignment — despite knowing the ex-con had done prison time for stabbing another of New York’s Finest, court records show.

Assistant District Attorney Daniel Farrell told Bronx Criminal Court Judge Audrey Stone on Sunday that Thompson had been convicted of repeatedly stabbing an NYPD cop in 2008 and served time in state prison, a transcript of the proceedings obtained by The Post show.

But Farrell only asked that the 38-year-old ex-con be cut loose on supervised release as Thompson was arraigned on a new charge of slamming another cop in the head — with Stone granting the prosecutor’s request.

“Disturbingly, back in 2008, the defendant also attacked an officer in Queens, attempting to stab him in the chest, which was blocked by the officer’s bulletproof vest,” Farrell told the judge, the transcript shows.

NYPD Officer Kyo Sun Lee
NYPD Officer Kyo Sun Lee was also allegedly attacked by Thompson.
Wayne Carrington

“Because of the facts of this instant matter and his prior convictions, the defendant faces lengthy possible prison time if convicted, and as such, we request supervised release.”

Thompson served more than two years of a five-year sentence in the earlier attack on NYPD Officer Demitrios Raptis after pleading guilty in 2010.

“It’s insane,” Raptis told The Post this week of Thompson’s release in the new case.

“I could have died that night,” the 42-year-old cop said. “I think this guy would be locked, shouldn’t be out. He could have killed this officer too. He should be behind bars.”

Thompson was last arrested over the weekend for allegedly smashing Bronx cop Kyo Sun Lee in the head with a weighted-down backpack in an unprovoked attack.

Thompson’s release in the new incident sparked condemnation from NYPD brass.

Police officer Demitrios Raptis
Thompson had attempted to stab NYPD Officer Demitrios Raptist in the chest.
NGTV

He refused to speak to The Post outside his Grand Concourse apartment this week, and the Bronx District Attorney’s Office declined to comment on the case.


Source link